Friday, October 16, 2009

Today was a rough day.

This morning Hubby got a phone call. A phone call that no one wants to get. He found out that one of the vehicles with four guys from his unit in Afghanistan was hit by an IED in while on a mission Two of the men were killed and the other two were seriously injured.

Hubby was so upset. He was angry that he was here and not there. Not that it would have stopped it from happening but he felt so powerless being on the other side of the world when two men who were friends died. Even though they weren't "directly" his men, they were still his men. They were some of the men they are there to protect.

Hubby doesn't show lots of "sad" emotions. He keeps those inside a lot. I think I can count about a dozen times I think I've seen him seriously tear up or cry. Most of those were when each of the kids were born. In the past four days I've seem him tear up twice. When he was hugging the kids for the first time at the airport and again when he got off that first phone call.

I was about to call one of his best friends K (who is also military) tell him the Hubby needed him when the doorbell rang and there he was. K had heard the news and came as soon as he could. Hubby needed to have someone he could talk to who really understood what was going on. While I can be as supportive as possible, I've never been to war and I've never lost someone I knew closely like that. K has and he also knew two men who were injured. There was also another vehicle hit by an IED further south of them. All four men were killed. October has become one of the deadliest months for our soldiers in Afghanistan.

Please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment: